Dr. Peroth Balakrishnan
Dr. Peroth Balakrishnan
Division of Conservation Biology
+91 8281730109, +91 9846891245
Lab website: http://www.tropicalecology.in
- The major research areas of my lab include conservation biology, evolutionary and behavioural ecology. The specific interests include: plant-animal interactions (seed dispersal, seed predation, pollination) species interactions (mutualisms, herbivory, predator-prey and parasite-host interactions), ecosystem services, life history theory, population dynamics and life-history evolution, comparative approaches to study evolution of the life history traits, evolutionary ecology of adaptive phenotypic traits, ecology and conservation of threatened and fragmented populations, wildlife–habitat relationships, biodiversity conservation in human-altered habitats, human dimensions of wildlife and conservation, evidence based conservation and conservation education.
- Patterns of tree cavity occurrence and use by vertebrates in tropical forests of the Western Ghats: a community web approach and its implications in forest management. Funded by Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change, Government of India.
- Integrating ecological and genetic approaches in developing conservation strategies for critically small populations: a case study of the endemic and Critically Endangered cycad, Cycas annaikalensis in the Western Ghats. Funding: KSCSTE Plan Grant.
- Identification of indicator species for special conservation efforts in the High Range Mountain Landscapes of the Western Ghats. Funding: Global Environment Facility-United Nations Development Programme
- Plant-animal community studies in various landscape elements in High Range Mountain Landscapes in the Western Ghats. Funding: Global Environment Facility-United Nations Development Programme
- Use of research evidence in conservation planning by conservation managers in the Western Ghats biodiversity hotspot, south India. Funding: INASP, UK
- Study on the faunal communities and their association with plants of JNTBGRI campus with special emphasis on mutualism (extension project).
- Assessing the influence of environmental and biotic factors on life history variation and demography of tropical rainforest bulbuls (aves: Pycnonotidae). Funding: SERB-DST, Government of India.
- Snake Sense: an education and awareness programme to improve knowledge and conservation of snakes. Funding: KSCSTE.
Our selected publications are listed below. See complete list of publication here.
- Murukesh, M.D. and P. Balakrishnan. 2015. On the breeding of the Slaty-legged crake (Aves: Rallidae: Rallina eurizonoides) in Nilambur, Kerala Southern India. Journal of Threatened Taxa, 7:7298-7301.
- Balakrishnan, P. 2014. Foraging behaviour of the Near Threatened Grey-headed Bulbul Pycnonotus priocephalus in relation to seasons and breeding stages. Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society, 111(1): 10-18.
- Bindu, T.N., Balakrishnan P., Sudheendrakumar, V.V. and V. Sajeev. Density dependent polyphenism and baculovirus resistance in teak defoliator, Hyblaea puera (Cramer). Ecological Entomology 37: 536-540.
- Balakrishnan, P. 2011. Breeding biology of Grey-headed Bulbul Pycnonotus priocephalus in the Western Ghats, India. Journal of Threatened Taxa, 3(1): 1415-1424.
- Balakrishnan, P. 2010. Breeding biology of the Hill Swallow (Hirundo domicola) in Western Ghats, India. Journal of Bombay Natural History Society, 107(2): 109-115.
- Balakrishnan P., T.V. Sajeev and T.N. Bindu. 2010. Artificial incubation, hatching and release of the Indian Rock Python Python molurus (Linnaeus, 1758), in Nilambur, Kerala. REPTILE RAP, 10: 24-27
- Balakrishnan, P. 2010. Reproductive biology of the Square-tailed Black Bulbul Hypsipetes ganeesa in the Western Ghats, India. Indian Birds, 5(5): 134-138.
- Balakrishnan, P. 2010. Parental care strategies of Grey-headed Bulbul, Pycnonotus priocephalus in Western Ghats, South India. Current Science, 98(4): 673-680.
- Balakrishnan, P. 2010. An education programme and establishment of a citizen scientist network to reduce killing of non-venomous snakes in Malappuram district, Kerala, India. Conservation Evidence, 7: 9-15
- Balakrishnan, P. 2009. Breeding ecology and nest site selection of Yellow-browed Bulbul Iole indica in southern Western Ghats, India. Journal of Bombay Natural History Society: 106(2): 176-183.
- Balakrishnan, P. 2005. Recent sightings and habitat characteristics of the endemic Nilgiri Marten Martes gwatkinsii in Western Ghats, India. Small Carnivore Conservation, 33: 14-16.