Ethnomedicine and Ethnopharmacology
The Division of Ethnomedicine & Ethnopharmacology was established in the year 1992, to fulfill the objectives given below:
To conserve, preserve and sustainably utilize the rich traditional herbal wealth and knowledge system of our country. To translate/ extend the outcome of the research in to action for the benefit of the common people at the grassroots.
- Ethno-medico-botanical survey
- Systematic documentation of Traditional Knowledge associated with biodiversity of Kerala State.
- Preparation of electronic database and protection of Traditional Knowledge associated with plants used for food and medicine under sui generis system.
- Ethnopharmacological Research. Formulation and Standardization of novel herbal remedies / nutraceuticals and other plant based products.
- Inter- institutional collaborative research programmes. Product development, Technology transfer, Commercialization and Equitable Sharing of benefits with Traditional knowledge holders/ providers.
- Implementation of Extension/Outreach Programmes